These rules are an exact reprint of the official Matinecock District Pinewood Derby Rules.
Building a Pinewood Derby entry is a Cub Scout-adult project. Remind parents that they should feel free to help with the cars, but to keep in mind that it is each Scout’s project. All cars entered must be newly built after September 1, of the current-scouting year using the materials in the Official Pinewood Derby Racing Car Kit (Can only be purchased at boy scout shop or scoutstuff.org part# 17006) or the Official Wheel/Axle Kit (part# 17553, 17554, #17555, # 17556, #17557). Wheels must be made in the USA so everyone starts out with the same kit and the same wheels.
- The maximum length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The maximum width (including wheels and axles) shall not exceed 2-3/4 inches.
- The minimum width between the inside surfaces of the wheels shall be 1-3/4 inches so that the car will clear the center guide strip
- The maximum height shall not exceed 3 1 / 2 inches.
- All cars will be weighed in and inspected. The maximum weight is five (5) ounces. Any car over this weight will not be accepted.
- The minimum clearance between the bottom of the car and the track shall be at least 3/8-inch so that the car can clear the center guide strip. (Check clearance on the track your pack uses)
- Items such as steering wheels, model drivers, spoilers, decals, painting and other details are allowed as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width, height and weight specifications. Loose materials of any kind are not permitted on the car.
- The car or any part of the car may not extend beyond the starting pin. Pin height 1-1/4 inches.
- The Scout’s name and pack number must be indicated on the car. Most participants put it on the bottom.
- Wheel diameter cannot be reduced past the ridge (rippled) edge. The ridge (rippled) edge must remain intact on the entire wheel.
- Beveling, tapering, grooving or reducing the tread width of the wheels is strictly prohibited.
- Wheel treads may not be rounded, tapered, grooved, shaped or positioned at any angle. Wheel treads must run flat against the track surface.
- Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are also prohibited. The front outside wheel sidewalls & face must remain intact. All wheels must have the“BSA” “Pinewood Derby” showing completely intact on the sidewall. The picture of the wheel above is what the judges will expect to see on the cars (in any of 5 BSA official colors black, red, orange, yellow or blue). Wheel or hub covers are also prohibited.
- All BSA Mold numbers / markings must be seen.
- You may only use axles supplied in the original car kit (part# 17006), or the Official Wheel/Axle Kit (part# 17553, #17554, #17555, # 17556, #17557).
- Axles may not be angled in the car body slots/holes that would cause the wheel not to run flat to the surface of the track.
- Axles may not be modified to the point that breakage could occur during the race.
- The axle head diameter may not be reduced or flattened.
- No part of the car, including wheels, may extend past the front or rear of the car body.
- The body of the car, the wheels, or any attachment, must not extend beyond the starting gate. The front of the car must meet the starting pin.
- All 4 wheels must touch the track
- The car must be freewheeling with no starting device or other propulsion.
- The wheelbase may not be changed. Wheels front to back must be the same length as grooves provided. ( 4 3/8 in)
- No sticky substances anywhere on the car.
- Use only a dry lubricant (powered dry graphite most common). Wet lubricants such as oils are prohibited. Must be dry to the touch at impound.
Examples of modifications that are allowed…
- Sanding or shaving the imperfections out of the track surface of the wheels. Be careful not to reduce the wheel diameter or round the tread face. The tread must remain flat.
- Removing the pinch marks and mold ridges on the axles by sanding and polishing the axles.
- Straightening axles if bent.
- Use of the 5 different BSA official colored wheels Red, Yellow, Black, Orange or Blue. (Purchased from BSA Official Source) Official Wheel/Axle Kit part #17553, #17554, #17555, #17556, #17557.
If you have any questions, please contact Pinewood Derby Coordinator Rob Zeblisky at 631-368-5223 or firstname.lastname@example.org. subject. Pinewood Derby